Scott Page, president and CEO of the Lifeline Program and author of ‘It’s Never Too Late’ helps us get over the fear of getting older and gives us tips to flourish as we age, shifting our focus to hope for our futures.
One of the most common ways we sabotage ourselves and limit or even destroy our potential is by giving negativity permission to live rent free in our lives.- Scott Page
COMMON ATTITUDES ABOUT AGING
- I’m only 50, I have plenty of time
- Let my children take care of things after I’m gone
- Everything has always turned out alright before
We are all going to age, so why do we fear aging?
HOW TO STOP BEING AFRAID OF GETTING OLD
- Visualize what you fear
- Decide what you want to be remembered by
- What do you want others to say about you
- What plans would you like your funeral to include
- Embrace that you will get old
CHANGE YOUR FOCUS
- Think about what brings you joy
- Find something you are grateful for each morning
HOW TO SAVE MONEY AS YOU AGE
Downsize: A memory is a memory and can’t be recreated. Once you declutter your life, you can accept new things and opportunities.
Cohabitation: Co-live with other seniors. Set ground rules first.
Take Inventory: Take note of everything you have. Sell things that you don’t use on ebay or give things away.
Use senior discounts
Turn your hobbies into resources
Give away things while you are still living. Write down or explain the stories behind the items.
CONSIDERATIONS FOR RETIREMENT LIVING
- Cost of living. Look for low-cost of living areas
- healthcare and accessibility of healthcare
- Climate where mobility is easiest
Betty White, who just turned 95, reminds us:
- To find something positive in life
- That our life is a gift to be cherished
- To stop and smell the flowers
Scott Page, website: http://scottpage.com/
The Golden Opportunity Network: https://www.goldenopportunitynetwork.com/
Life Expectancy Calculator: http://scottpage.com/Longevity/LifeExpectIntro.html
Free Retirement Tools: http://scottpage.com/free-retirement-tools/
It’s Never Too Late Book: https://www.amazon.com/Its-Never-Too-Late-Getting/dp/1630476234
The Lifeline Program: http://www.thelifeline.com/